Philippine International Baptist Church of OKLAHOMA - SBC
If you are now face to face with Jesus, which of these would be the reason why He should let you enter Heaven?
1. Is it because of being a good person? Like being any of the following: compassionate, loving, unselfish, forgiving, understanding, patient, etc. Being a good person will not merit us heaven. Why? Because the Bible says otherwise saying that no one is good. The Bible is very clear that all of us are sinners.Sin is what separates us from God. A good example is Adam and Eve. A single act of disobedience separated them from God.
Galatians 3:22 - "But the scripture hath concluded all under sin,..."
James 2:10 - "For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it." Jeremiah 17:9-10 - " The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it?" Romans 3:23 - "...for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." Luke 16:15 - "What is highly valued among men is detestable in God's sight." Isaiah 64:6 - "All of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous acts are filthy rags..." Romans 3:10 -"As it is written: There is no one righteous, not even one; there is no one who seeks God. All have turned away; they have together become worthless; there is no one who does good, not even one."
2. Is it because of being religious? By attending church and being submissive to church authorities and by following church teachings and traditions. You will not be saved through any religion. Often times we depend greatly on our church leaders and authorities. Since they are human beings like you and I, they are bound to make mistakes too. In one incident in the Bible, even a group of Christians in the city called Berea actually verified the Scriptures if what the apostle Paul was saying to them was true. There is only one authority above all religions, and that is the Word of God, which is the Bible. As the Psalmist puts it..."It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man." Psalm 118:8 Colossians 3:11 - "Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond nor free: but Christ is all, and in all." James 1:26 - "If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion is vain." Titus 1:16 - "They claim to know God, but by their actions they deny him. They are detestable, disobedient and unfit for doing anything good." Colossians 2:8 - "See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of this world rather on Christ." Acts 17:11 - "Now the Bereans were of more noble character than the Thessalonians, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures everyday to see if what Paul said was true."
3. Is it because of good works? Like doing any of the following: charity, church activities, being helpful, being kind to others, obedient to parents, etc. Your righteous works will not be enough to pay all of your sins. Only Jesus' death on the cross is sufficient. The last word that Jesus Christ said before He died on the cross was "It is finished." What was finished? His work here on earth to save mankind from eternal damnation was finished. The sacrifice for sins was done once and for all. There is no more work necessary for you to get saved. Jesus, as the ultimate sacrifice...covered all of our sins...past, present and future.
Ephesians 2:8 - "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith - and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God - not by works..." Romans 11:5 - "So too, at the present time there is a remnant chosen by grace. And if by grace, then it is no longer by works; if it were, grace would no longer be grace." 2 Timothy 1:9 - "...who has saved us and called us to a holy life - not because of anything we have done but because of His own purpose and grace."
4. Is it through intercession or mediation from saints? Mary? church authorities? other people? It is very clear that there is only one who helps us to reach God our Father. It is Jesus Christ who acts as our mediator. Jesus as mediator acts as a bridge or link between us and God the Father.
1 Timothy 2:5 - "For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus." John 14:6 - "Jesus answered, 'I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me...'" Hebrews 7:25 - "Therefore He is able to save completely those who come to God through Him, because He always lives to intercede for them." Romans 8:34 - "Who is he that condemns? Christ Jesus who died - more than that, who was raised to life is at the right hand of the Father and is also interceding for us."
5. Is it because of cleansing of souls in purgatory? There is no purgatory mentioned the Bible. What is mentioned though is judgement after death. It is very clear that there are only two ways that you can take. Either through the narrow gate, which leads to eternal happiness in heaven, or through the wide gate, which leads to eternal suffering in hell...where most people go. More importantly, Jesus cleansed us from our sins completely...no other cleansing is necessary.
Hebrews 9:27 - "Just as man is destined to die once, and after that to face judgment," Matthew 7:13-14: - "Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow is the road that leads to life, and only a few find it." Luke 16:26 - "And beside all this, between us (in heaven) and you (in hell) a great chasm (big gulf) has been fixed, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor anyone cross over from there to us." 1 John 2:2 - "He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world." Ephesians 1:7 - "In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins..."
6. Is it because you believe that Jesus' death is for all of us? Yes, Jesus died for all of us...but still not all will go to heaven. You see the Bible says that, Jesus' death is a ransom for many...not all. Also, it is clear that there are still two pathways. One is a narrow gate that leads to heaven and a wide gate that leads to hell. Salvation is likewise a gift from God. Like any other gift, the gift is still not yours to own if you do not accept it.
Matthew 7:13 - "Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it." Matthew 10:28 & Mark 1945 - "-- just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many." Ephesians 2:8 - "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith - and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God - not by works..."
7. Is it because of faith in Jesus Christ? You have answered correctly. It is only through FAITH that we are saved. Not by good works, religion, prayers, or any effort on our part will get us to heaven. Jesus paid for our sins. By dying on the cross for us...He became the ultimate sacrifice for our sins. The only thing that Jesus wants you to do... is that for you to have faith in Him...believing in His death and resurrection, by repenting from your sins and accepting Him your Lord and Savior.
Romans 3:28 - "For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from observing the law." Galatians 2:16 - "...know that a man is not justified by observing the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ." Ephesians 2:8 - "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith - and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God - not by works..." Acts 20:21 - "I have declared to both Jews and Greeks that they must turn to God in repentance and have faith in our Lord Jesus." Acts 16:31 - "They (Paul and Silas) replied, 'Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved - you and your household.'" John 1:12 - "Yet to all who received Him, to those who believed in His name, He gave the right to become children of God..." Romans 10:9 - "That if you confess in your mouth, "Jesus is Lord." and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved."
How To Get Saved
This journey to salvation will take a series of 5 steps. I urge you to be patient and try to understand what is written. Get any Bible to verify comments or references.
Meditate on God's words and allow it to speak to you. Before you begin this journey, ask for guidance through prayer.
Dear God, please help me with this journey. Enlighten me with your words. Let your words speak to my heart and mind. Guide me all the way. Thank you. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.
Step #1: Admit that you are a sinner.
For you to admit that you need help, you must accept that you have a problem. The problem is that you are a sinner, and since you are a sinner, you are eternally separated from God...referred to by the Bible as the second death.
An example is Adam and Eve's separation from God when they disobeyed a single commandment of God.
Romans 3:23 - "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God." Romans 3:10 - "As it is written: 'There is no one is righteous, not even one...' " Romans 6:23 - "The wages of sin is death..." Isaiah 59:2 - "But your iniquities have separated you from God; your sins have hidden his face from you, so that he will not hear..." Revelations 21:8 - "But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars - their place will be in the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death."
Step #2: Understand that Jesus died for your sins.
Instead of you suffering for your own sins...Jesus did the suffering for you. Jesus loves you so much...so much so that He was willing to be humiliated and beaten and made to carry a heavy wooden cross only to be nailed and die on that same cross He was carrying....for your sins.
Friend...there is no other way but Jesus. Although we cannot understand why Jesus has to die to save us...the Bible is clear that there has to be shedding of blood for the remission of sins.
But in this case, instead of your blood, it was Jesus' blood that was shed for you!
Ephesians 1:7, 8 - "In Him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace that he lavished on us with all wisdom and understanding." Romans 5:8 - "...God commendeth His love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." 2 Corinthians 5:21 - "...He hath made Him [Jesus, Who knew no sin] to be sin for us...that we might be made the righteousness of God in Him." Hebrews 9:22 - "...without shedding of blood is no remission. [pardon]"
Step #3: Put your faith in Jesus Christ making Him your Saviour and Lord.
Friend, even though Jesus suffered and died, death has no power over Him. In fact Jesus has to give up His Spirit inorder for him to die.
More importantly, on the third day He was raised to life!!!
This resurrection is His victory over death...and this is our victory over spiritual death too...this is our salvation...for those who believe...for those who put their faith in Him.
As Jesus said to Thomas, "Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet believed."
1 Peter 1:3-5 - "In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade..." Romans 3:28 - "For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from observing the law." Galatians 2:16 - "...know that a man is not justified by observing the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ." Ephesians 2:8 - "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith - and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God - ..." Acts 20:21 - "I have declared to both Jews and Greeks that they must turn to God in repentance and have faith in our Lord Jesus." Acts 16:31 - "They (Paul and Silas) replied, 'Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved - you and your household.'" John 1:12 - "Yet to all who received Him, to those who believed in His name, He gave the right to become children of God..." Romans 10:9 - "That if you confess in your mouth, "Jesus is Lord." and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified and it is with your that you confess and are saved."
Step #4: Put your faith in Jesus making Him the Lord and Saviour or your life.
Friend, if all of the things we have disussed makes sense to you, and you truly believe that:
1. Your are a sinner in need of a Saviour.
2. Believe that Jesus died for your sins and rose again on the third day.
What stops you from receiving Jesus Christ to be your Lord and Saviour today?
If you've made that all important decision to put your faith in Jesus trusting Him to be your Savior and Lord, then follow this prayer and mean this in your heart.
WHAT TO PRAY
Dear God, I am a sinner. Please forgive my sins. I am willing to turn away from my sins and I want you to help me. I believe that Jesus Christ died for me on the cross and resurrected on the third day. I now open myself for Jesus Christ to take control of my life. Come, Jesus into my heart and life as my Savior and Lord. Amen.
Friend, if you've prayed this prayer...and you meant it...know this...Jesus Christ has saved you and He promised you eternal life with Him in heaven. He has also given you the Holy Spirit to dwell inside you to be your guide and comforter.
Romans 10:8-10 - "But what does it say? "The word is near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart," that is, the word faith we are proclaiming: That if you confess in your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved." John 1:12 - "But as many as received Him, to them gave He power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on His name." Romans 10:13 - "For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved." Revelations 3:20 - "Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door (of your life), I will come in and eat with him, and he with Me."
Step #5: Grow in Christ.
Dear Friend, once you've put your faith in Jesus Christ and accepted Him as your Savior and Lord, the Bible says your are like a baby. And just like any other baby, you must be fed with spiritual milk. Pray and ask for guidance...from God the Father, Jesus or the Holy Spirit who lives in you.
If you prayed the prayer in Step#4, would you please let us know by sending us an email by clicking here ? or by calling us at (405)895-6649.
1 Peter 2:2 - "Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation, now that you have tasted that the Lord is good." 2 Timothy 3:16, 17 - "All Scripture is God breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that that man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work." Luke 11:9 - "So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened." John 15:16 - "...Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in My name. This is my command: Love each other." Mathew 28:19 - "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of age."